Transferring accrued benefits from ABP

You may be able to take your pension abroad with you. You can transfer it to the Pension Scheme of the European Communities (PSEC), for example, to which the European Parliament, the European Commission, and the European Court of Auditors belong. You can also transfer your pension to an international organization (such as NATO, the UN, or Europol) or to a pension provider within or outside Europe. Check with them if they will submit a request for the international transfer of accrued benefits for you. After receiving the request, ABP will return a statement showing the value of your accrued pension rights.

Pension funds abroad and some international organizations will need to complete a ‘Model Questionnaire for the International Transfer of Accrued Benefits’. This organization will then forward it to ABP:

Postbus 4804
6401 JL Heerlen, The Netherlands

We will check whether the requirements for the international transfer of accrued benefits have been met.

If you wish to transfer pension benefits accrued with ABP to another pension provider within the Netherlands, you must submit an accrued benefits transfer request to your new pension provider. One condition for the benefits transfer is that the financial situation of both ABP and the other pension provider must be sufficient for this purpose.

Make an informed decision

Your new pension scheme, as well as your personal situation and your needs, will determine whether value transfer is a good choice for you. ABP cannot advise you in this. It is useful to compare your new and old pension schemes and ask yourself the following questions:

  • At what age can you stop working?
  • How will your pension scheme change? Will it follow price or wage developments?
  • Do you have individual options?
  • What is your survivors’ pension scheme like?
  • Do you bear any investment risk?
  • Will future wage increases have a continued effect within your ‘old’ pension scheme after value transfer?