Registering your partner

There is a difference between a partner with whom you are married/have a civil partnership and a partner with whom you are cohabiting.

If you are married and you live in the Netherlands, you don't need to take any action, as your partner will be registered automatically.
If you live outside the Netherlands and do you have a new partner, make sure to let us know! Either send us an e-mail or send a letter to:

P.O. Box 4804
6401 JL Heerlen

Don't forget to include a copy of your marriage certificate (in either English or Dutch). It is important that both your and your partner's address details are the same. You must also inform the RNI.

Are you cohabiting? If so, your partner will only receive the surviving dependants' pension once he/she is registered with ABP. For this purpose, you will require a cohabitation contract. Read the conditions before registering your partner.


Conditions for registering your partner:

  • You are below the state pension age.
  • You and your partner are both over 18.
  • You and your partner are not married.
  • You and your partner are not: parent and child, grandparent and grandchild, parent-in-law and son/daughter-in-law (brother and sister or niece and nephew is permitted).
  • You and your partner live together at the same address. You are also both registered with the municipality at this address.
  • You and your partner have a cohabitation contract.
  • The cohabitation contract is written in Dutch or in English.
  • The cohabitation contract was created before you reached the state pension age, and it has been signed by a notary.
  • The cohabitation contract states that you and your partner provide for each other's maintenance.